Seasonic is a reputable manufacturer of high quality power supplies with a long service life. The considered model Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular (80 + Platinum) 850 Watt has a number of advantages, including a fully modular design, a HA1225H12F-Z fan with reliable hydrodynamic bearing and a huge service life, standard dimensions that provide almost 100% compatibility with ATX cases, and finally, the power supply is equipped with ATX Mainboard 20 + 4-pin and CPU 4 + 4-pin connectors, ensuring compatibility with the maximum number of different motherboards.
- Reduced noise without increasing temperature;
- Increased fan life by reducing the number of revolutions of the fan;
- Optimized heat dissipation during operation 24/7;
- Unsurpassed silent operation in fanless mode.
- In addition, there is a switch in the back of the power supply that allows users to customize their cooling needs by choosing between the Seasonic S2FC (fan control with “no fan” mode off ) and S3FC (fan control, including “no fan” mode).
- 850 W ATX power supply
- 80 PLUS Platinum Certificate
- cooling: active, 1 fan (120 mm)
- Features: Fully modular design, detachable cables, overvoltage protection, overload protection, short circuit protection
- Power Factor Compensation (PFC) Active
- Input voltage 100 – 240 V
- Connectors: 2x PCIe 8-pin, 6x PCIe 6-pin, 10x SATA, 5x Molex
- dimensions (HxWxD) 86x150x140 mm
- Delivery set: detailed instructions, power cable, fixing screws, cloth and plastic ties for fixing cords during assembly, sticker for the system unit with a company logo.
More information about connectors
- Connector type for motherboard: 24 pin
- Number of slots 4 + 4 pin CPU: 2
- Number of 6 + 2-pin PCI-E slots: 6
- Number of 15-pin SATA connectors: 10
- Number of 4-pin IDE connectors: 5
- Number of 4-pin Floppy connectors: 1
- Current line +3.3 V: 20 A
- +5 Vdc current: 20 A
- The current line +12 V 1: 70 A
- The current line -12 V: 0.3 A
- Current line +5 V Standby: 3 A
Seasonic engineers have created a completely new product line based on advanced technologies, created as a result of years of intensive research. The result of this development is the robust FOCUS + series, which implements modern design and demonstrates outstanding electrical performance. This power supply is small and fully modular, and the another companies will oppose anything. The model under consideration has an 80 PLUS® Platinum efficiency rating, the power supply is also available in the Gold version, we wrote about it in one of the previous reviews.
The design of the device is designed in a serious manner: there are no bright design elements, but the block looks solid thanks to its neat assembly and high-quality painting.
The dimensions of the power unit correspond exactly to the specifications of the ATX form factor – 139 x 149 x 86 mm. This is a rare case for such a powerful device “flagship” level, which in addition is made on a modular scheme. Focus Plus Platinum is guaranteed to be compatible with all standard cases.
The unit is equipped with a fan HA1225H12F-Z. The seven-blade “hundred-twelve” with a reliable hydrodynamic bearing (the stated resource is 100,000 hours), it has moderate power consumption and high performance in a wide rpm range.
The unit is equipped with ATX Mainboard 20 + 4-pin and 4 + 4-pin composite connectors, ensuring compatibility with the maximum number of different motherboards.
- COMPACT SIZE – 140 MM DEEP; High power output to size ratio.
- FULL MODULAR; use only the cables you need to reduce clutter and improve airflow for a better ventilated system.
- 80 PLUS PLATINUM; 90% efficient at 20% load, 92% efficient at 50% load, and 89% efficient at 100% load.
- HYBRID SILENT FAN CONTROL; The industry’s first, Seasonic patented, advanced three-phased thermal control achieves optimal between silence and cooling. This Hybrid Silent Fan Control functions in three operational stages: Fanless Mode, Silent Mode, and Cooling Mode.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY; Our commitment to superior quality.
80 PLUS® PLATINUM
The FOCUS PLUS Platinum Series achieves 80 PLUS® Platinum certification with its 92 % efficiency at 50 % system load.
CABLE-FREE CONNECTION DESIGN
Seasonic’s engineers have implemented a new design feature, where instead of cables; the back panel and the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) are connected by a copper plate. This breakthrough solution not only lowers the chance of production errors during manual insertion but it also improves output power quality.
HYBRID SILENT FAN CONTROL
The industry’s first, Seasonic patented, advanced three-phased thermal control achieves optimal between silence and cooling. This Hybrid Silent Fan Control functions in three operational stages: Fanless Mode, Silent Mode, and Cooling Mode.
- Reduced noise without increase in temperature;
- Extended fan life due to the reduced number of fan rotations;
- Optimized heat dissipation at all times;
- Unsurpassed silent performance in Fanless Mode.
Additionally, there is a switch at the back of the power supply which allows users to customize their cooling needs by selecting between the Seasonic S2FC (fan control without Fanless Mode) and the S3FC (fan control including Fanless Mode).
THE FAN CONTROL BUTTON
The fan control button can be found on the back of the FOCUS PLUS power supply, next to the power switch. The image here illustrates how to select different fan control modes to suit your need.
DO NOT press the button if you wish to include the Fanless Mode, which means the fan in the power supply will not spin when the power supply is under light loads. Press the button if you wish to have the fan spin at all times, even at lower loads.
FLUID DYNAMIC FAN BEARING
High performance Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) fans are designed to take advantage of the impact absorbance effects of oil. They are extremely reliable and generate considerably less operating noise and heat than ball bearing fans. The lubrication of the bearing surface reduces friction and vibration and therefore lowers overall power consumption. Due to the effortless, quieter rotations and its robust construction, this reliable fan technology also greatly increases the lifespan of the fan.
When the fan shaft rotates, high pressure oil drifts along the grooves of the bearing sleeve to generate a thin layer of lubrication between the bearing faces. As the speed increases, so does dynamic oil pressure and the shaft is lifted from the bearing to create smooth, effortless rotations. The herringbone shape of the groves helps to efficiently channel the lubricant and avert leakage.
Buyers in their reviews, as the main advantages of the power supply noted the outstanding power, the platinum certificate, the reliability of the components. The power supply proved to be excellent in working with top user configurations, for example, with Intel’s Intel Core i7 8700K overclocking to 5.0 Ghz with AVX-2, motherboard ASRock Z370 Extreme4, GTX1080 Ti Gigabyte WindForce 3X video card and AMD Ryzen with AMD Asus Crosshair Hero VI, GeForce 1070ti overclocked. Even with such powerful configurations, the power supply unit showed a load of no more than ~ 400W of 12v, and the voltage did not sink even a jot.
Buyers praise the work of Seasonic support, which, when contacting the manufacturer’s post office, in case of breakdowns, company itself was engaged in replacing the defective / failed product and people did not even have to contact an supplier / store where they had bought the power supply.
Other advantages of Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular (80 + Platinum) 850 Watt are quiet operating, protected braided cables, two 4 + 4 connectors for processor power, 10 years warranty, high quality voltage regulation.
The power supply has a universal form factor, so it is suitable for installation in most computer cases.
The disadvantages of users attributed the high price, inflexible “oak” cables, and therefore there were inconveniences during installation.
In general, buyers recommend a power supply for long-term purchase: “bought and forgotten for the next 10 years”.
On Amazon, this series of power supplies from Seasonic has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 among users, so finding negative reviews was a little problematic.
Lovely Power Supply
September 17, 2017 [Verified Purchase]
Model: Focus+ Gold Size: 850W
Rather than focus on technical specs, as others have noted, and such information can be found on professional review sites, I would rather focus on how the product feels to the user.
First off, its a beautiful power supply, this PSU has a thick applied powder coat of matte black paint, that will not scratch. It has a professional, non-flashy finish, that will blend beautifully into whatever build you decide to install this PSU into.
This product is fully modular, allowing the user to install only the power cables he/she needs, and none that they do not. Everything is built onto a single 12V rail, so there will be no concerns for the user regarding load balancing. Additionally, this power supply comes with a 10 year warranty against manufacturing defects, which is industry leading, and shows the confidence that Seasonic places into this product.
Finally, the power supply came with a feature that I have never seen before, and that is a switch that activates the Seasonic Hybrid Silent Fan Control. This switch, when activated, puts the PSU fan into 3 phases: fanless mode, silent mode, and cooling mode. This allows the user to lower noise in their chassis without reducing power delivery. And when this power supply delivers 90% efficiency at 50% load, you’ll likely never hear the fan.
This is a fantastic piece of equipment for any modern gaming computer, HTPC, or mining machine. I have purchased numerous Seasonic power supplies in the past, and i continue to be impressed with their product quality. With a 10 year warranty, and a professional, reserved look, its hard not to recommend this series of power supplies to anyone looking to build or update a new system.
Customer feedback from Amazon about the product series Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular
One of the best PSU options for space constrained cases. Its fan however can be really hit or miss. The one on mine missed.
January 24, 2018 [Verified Purchase]
Style: Prime GoldSize: 550W
I wanted to move my main computer from a mid tower ATX to something smaller. I eventually decided on the SilverStone SG13 case as I could reuse most of my components. However, one thing I did have to change is going from full length ATX power supply to something shallower in depth. SilverStone recommends an ATX PSU to be no more than 140mm in depth if you want to use the drive cage in the SG13.
After doing quite a bit of research, I found that the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold series of PSUs are some of the best you can get if you have a smaller case like the SG13:
1) Its 135mm fan is not only a good deal quieter than the 92mm ones found in small SFX power supplies but can move a lot more air volume.
2) The fan mode on the Prime Ultra can be set so that it always runs. This is very important in small cases that use the PSU as an exhaust fan. For the SG13 it’s a necessity to have an always running fan since the intake is directly above the the CPU heatsink and fan.
3) This power supply is fully modular so that you don’t have to find places to stuff extraneous cables in your case.
4) No in cable capacitors makes cable routing easier. It also makes it easier to wire custom cables for the power supply if you want to do so in the future.
5) The wires in the ribbon type cables can be individually separated. I wasn’t a fan of ribbon cables at first until I realized that it is possible to do this. It makes routing around obstructions like heatsink heatpipes a lot easier.
While I really like how Seasonic designed this power supply, there’s a few things that I would change to make it even better:
1) Move the fan mode switch from the back to the front panel where the cable connectors are located. EVGA does it this way with their offerings and I think it makes more sense to do it that way. It allows the rear panel to have more ventilation holes and thus better airflow through the PSU.
2) While the louvers on the side of the PSU look interesting, they aren’t functional. If you look at the side of the PSU, you’ll see that they are covered by a clear plastic baffle. I understand this plastic is necessary to prevent interior components from inadvertently shortening out on the case but maybe a small slit could be made so that the louvers could become functional while still protecting interior components. If you are using this PSU as an exhaust, every little bit counts when it comes to airflow and ventilation.
3) I appreciate that Seasonic was able to squeeze in a 135mm fan in a 140mm PSU chassis but I am not so confident in the fan choice, a two wire, fluid dynamic bearing one made by Hong Hua. Sure, a long warranty mitigates this worry a bit, but you still have to deal with the downtime shipping the PSU to a repair center and waiting for it to return. At this price point, I would really prefer something like a Nidec or Sanyo Denki. Even better if it is a PWM one with ball bearings as those last even longer. Many power supply manufacturers advertise Japanese-made capacitors being used in their power supplies. I think this should also apply to fan choice as well.
4) The hexagon fan grill is a bit restrictive (see Puget Systems’ article “Effects of Grill Patterns on Fan Performance/Noise”). A traditional wire grill only loses 2% of its airflow compared to 8% of a stamped steel hexagon patten. A wire grill is also quieter.
However, all these are minor things that don’t distract that much from the power supply. All in all, if you are in need of a fully modular power supply that can fit in a compact case, I would not hesitate to recommend a Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold.
Unfortunately after more use, it seems that this unit has a fatal flaw. The Hong Hua fan used in it makes a low rumbling sound that is noticeable if you are in close proximity to it. I have my case on my desk and started noticing a particular sound after the hard drive in the case spun down and went to sleep. I opened up the case and traced the noise to the fan in the power supply. I am including a video of me toggling the fan mode switch (it sets the fan to always run or not) so you can get an idea of the noise. You may have to turn up your volume to hear it properly.
Looking around on Youtube and other sites, I am not the only one to have experienced this issue. It also occurs with previous Prime and Focus Plus units. All use the same fan supplier.
In all other aspects this power supply is great. However the fan really distracts from its operation. If you happen to have a decently noisy system with multiple hard drives you’ll likely never notice the sound. If you happen to have a system with a SSD and slow moving case fans and want to keep a silent computer, then you might want to pick out another power supply.
If Seasonic could fix the fan this would be a 5 star product.
Negative review from Amazon customer
Dead on arrival, killed components
January 19, 2019 [Verified Purchase]
Style: Focus+ PlatinumSize: 850W
i have bought dozens of PSU’s for personal builds and builds for family and friends and i have never purchased a seasonic PSU before. Ive always heard they had an amazing reputation for quality products so i figured id give it a go. Not only was the unit dead on arrival but in the process of trying to get my PC to boot with the PSU installed it killed two drives i had connected to it. Needless to say i will not be purchasing a seasonic product ever again. as for the replacement of my drives and the unit itself we will see how that goes with customer service, i will update this review with the results.
for reference the product i purchased was the FOCUS PLUS 850 80+platinum so for such a high end product to fail like that is an obvious quality control issue as i have NEVER in my years of building had a PSU fail this miserably.
UPDATE: i contacted customer support and they will replace the unit provided i pay the $20 shipping and handling but they will NOT replace the drives, which doesnt come as a surprise but i figured i would try. so i was better off just returning the product to amazon to actually get my money back instead of just a replacement. i probably just got a bad unit but like i said before ive never had a PSU fail like this so i have no choice but to advise against this PSU. its one thing for a unit to die over time but to be DOA, that is is just a quality control issue so it could easily happen again.
Review from customer who received a dead on arrival Seasonic power supply from Amazon